Sunday, March 30, 2008

Zachary goes to church

Today was such a wonderful day! Zachary is just the happiest baby, and was such a delight to play with all afternoon! Nothing could upset our little man today (not even belly-time when he rolled over from his belly to his back!), and we enjoyed him sooooo much!

The day started out what we thought was quite smoothly, but then a few obstacles tested us this morning. We planned it to the minute - - what time to feed him, dress him, shower ourselves, feed ourselves, feed him again, pack him in the car seat, and leave for church for the first time as a family, leaving enough time to find just the perfect seats (in the back and on the aisle, just in case the little man decided to "pray" out-loud). Well, all the planning in the world doesn't guarantee smooth sailing, as we were reminded this morning. I actually thought we were going to be early (I can't imagine why!), as I burped the little man 15 minutes before we were to walk out the door.

Much to my surprise, I heard a bit of an explosion (2nd one that morning), and suddenly noticed what resembled a slow lava flow out of ... get this... the BOTTOM OF THE LEG OF HIS PANTS! How could that be?? I just couldn't imagine what was going on under his perfect church outfit to cause such a diaper breach! Now what? Abandon our plan to attend church for the first time as a family? Was this a test to see how committed we were to starting a new Sunday routine? Well, if it was a test, we passed! I hurriedly undressed Zachary, threw the soiled clothes in a basin of water to soak, washed him down, picked out another perfect church outfit (I liked the first one best, but this would have to work), diapered and dressed our little cherub. I then passed him off to Len to secure him in the car seat and load the car, as I pulled myself back together.

Believe it our not, we made it to the service with two minutes to spare. Unfortunately, though, we ended up in the third row from the FRONT! Oi! I was a bit nervous wondering if Zachary would test his choir lungs, but to our pleasure, he was an absolute angel (no pun intended) for the ENTIRE 90 minute service (he ended up snoozing for quite a bit of it). So many commented on what an adorable and well behaved baby we had, as we just felt so welcomed in this new community! Hopefully, next Sunday will be an easier preparation, and equally pleasurable service!

Here are a few shots of Zachary's first Sunday Church Service...


No comments: